Sunday, May 8, 2011

Portrait of a Lady 1

Yesterday I was waiting for an elevator in the lobby of a retirement home. Beside me, leaning on a walker, stood a little old lady of my acquaintance.

Bonjour, Hélène.

She looked over at me. The penny dropped.

Ah bonjour, monsieur!

We waited together, patiently. I looked at her walker. The last time I saw her she got around with a cane.

Pourquoi?

I motioned to the walker.

She sighed and answered in a French-Canadian accent as thick as goalie’s pad.

Je suis fatiguée. Ben ben fatiguée…

We looked up at the elevator display. It seemed to be stuck on the third floor.

I felt a nudge at my elbow. Hélène held out a newspaper clipping, protected in transparent plastic. She urged it on me.

Regarde-moi ça!

I took it from her. It was from Ottawa’s French-language daily. Yesterday’s edition.

A picture of Hélène, wearing a deranged, gleeful smile. On her head a conical, comical party hat.

The headline read: La Doyenne d’Ottawa!

The caption stated that Hélène Chatelain, the city’s oldest resident, is seen here celebrating her 108th birthday.

We got on the elevator. I placed the clipping face up on the tray of her walker. The door closed.

We looked at each other.

Cent huit?

Her smile was positively demonic.

Zahn witt!... Ben ouais…

I recognized the smile from the newpaper. I looked down at the clipping.

She misunderstood. She thought I was looking at the walker. Reproachfully.

The doors opened at her floor.

Vous savez, monsieur, she apologized. On a beaucoup beaucoup dansé.

No comments:

Post a Comment