Thursday, June 24, 2010

Bless me, Father, for I have sinned...

A friend recently asked me to come clean about my World Cup sentiments. Since I’m living in a fishbowl, why hide them?

Ghana is my team. Has been since Day One of the tournament. Aside from feeling the attraction of its African underdog status, I am enamored of the country. I spent a couple of months there a while back and have never laughed so much in my life. Ghanaians rock.

Then I like Spain. Because I truly like Spain.

With France, it’s too personal, a family thing. One day love, the other hate. I’m relieved they’re out of there now. For me, it’s as if an ex-girlfriend finally moved out of town.

For crybaby grandstanding antics, I like Italy, followed closely by England.

For dirty play, I adore Italy.

And the baby elephant in the room?… The same friend accused me of dissing the US.

Not true.

I think the US, by virtue of getting such lousy calls (3 goals disallowed!) in the past two games, has made up for its lamentable fluke goal against England. I don't really have anything against the US, but it's all so familiar, the fans, the chants, the navel-gazing articles about "soccer in the US". It's Olympics déjà vu all over again.

In fact, I enjoy seeing other countries' weird pathologies when it comes to sports. On the whole, I'd say there are far more imaginative fans than Americans out there, especially when it comes to singing and wretched excess. (Though the Americans are the champs at tailgating). I like the way countries come to a standstill for a match -- which of course doesn't happen here. So I don’t dislike the US squad, I’m just indifferent to them (whereas I loathe Germany and its style of play). The US could be Malta, to my mind. I’m glad they’ve advanced, because it adds to the ambient buzz here, and I wish them well.

As for pure aesthetics, Brazil, Argentina, and Spain are a joy to watch.

Can I go now?

1 comment: