Saturday, December 3, 2011

Question of the Day

Beautiful, sunny, warm, creepy December day, and I am walking back home from a seaside park. To get to my place, I have to cross a wide pedestrian bridge spanning an eight-lane interstate.

At mid-span, I notice two young women standing to one side, holding a large sign that can be seen from the roadway. They are post-hipstah twentyish, a bit of hardware in their faces, but not of the Home Depot amplitude popular a few years ago. Their bare arms are purple-green tattoo canisters; their faces, white and impassive.

“Hey!,” I say. “What’s your sign say?”

Dutifully, they maneuver the huge sign to face me. It reads:

Sometimes Saying I Love You Is Not As Good As An Anal Plug!

“Wow!” I exclaim, genuinely impressed. “That’s quite a sign.”

They nod, bored.

“Have you been showing it around town?”

A shake of the head. “No, we just found it.”

“You found it?! Where?”

“Over there.”

A Stieg Larsson arm points further up the bridge to a stone bench, deserted save for two empty beer cans.

We exchange glances. “Well, do you agree with it?,” I ask.

Shrugs. “Seemed like a good idea.” Obeying some unheard signal, the girls then proceed to turn the cumbersome sign back around to face the highway.

I return home.

Now my question is this: Don’t you think these two young women are more socially useful than Lloyd Blankfein?

No comments:

Post a Comment