Monday, July 4, 2011

Co-Dependence Day

I spent the day celebrating the anniversary of Saladin’s glorious victory over the Crusader scum at the Horns of Hattin, on July 4, 1187.

No, I watched Inside Job, the documentary about the all-American fraudsters who almost brought down the world economy and got away with it.

Actually, I read Sarah Palin’s Going Rogue, and realized that the Republican base is just that: base.

Truthfully, I attended a free seaside concert, where the Rhode Island Philharmonic performed Tchaikovsky’s 1812 Overture, a venerable Independence Day tradition that evokes a French defeat, the public dislike of France being the only remaining respectable bigotry.

Okay, I put on Miles Davis and thought, at least there’s that… America invented jazz.

Happy Fourth.

No comments:

Post a Comment